Friday, May 28, 2010

Master Bedroom: Before and After

The bedrooms didn’t require many changes.  In the master bedroom, we increased the size of the closet by taking some space from the second bedroom closet.  We installed shutters in the windows, purchased a new light fixture and painted the walls Benjamin Moore’s Athabaska.





IMG_2886  IMG_4649

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Upstairs Bathroom: Before and After

The upstairs bathroom (which was the only bathroom) was in pretty good shape for being fully original.  While we chose to redo the bathroom, we ended up going with a similar look and colour scheme. 




IMG_4644 IMG_4643 IMG_2945

We tiled the walls in the shower area with white ceramic subway tiles with a 3” insert of grey glass mosaic tiles.  On the floor, we used 2” hexagon white carrara marble.

We kept the original cast iron tub and had it refinished.  We replaced the toilet with a Toto Aquia dual flush toilet, painted the walls with Benjamin Moore’s Sweet Innocence, and added a new vanity and mirror.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Stairs: Before and After

To update the look of the stairs, we decided to re-stain the stair treads and banister in the same colour we stained the upstairs hardwood floors.  We chose to paint to the risers and spindles white.


20090329_0986 20090329_0985


IMG_4652 IMG_4639

IMG_2951 IMG_2942

The original walls in the hallway and stairwell were stucco.  We replaced them with new drywall, which really helped make the space look more modern.  We hung some coat hooks at the bottom of the stairs and added a small bench where we can store some shoes.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Exterior: Before and After

First up for the final reveal is the front of the house. 

While we loved the style of the house and the colour of the brick, we did not love the green paint around the front door.  We dealt with it for a few months while we focused on more important things, but it was definitely a happy day when the green was gone!

Other work on the front of the house included changing the house numbers, adding a mailbox, replacing the porch light with a pot light and installing a new storm door.







Revealing the Rooms

Although it’s been a year since we started renovating our house – and five months since we moved in – we’ve only recently started to feel like some rooms are complete.

We’ve learned that, once the major work is done, it’s easy to move on with your life without completing the smaller projects.  It’s some of these little projects that have kept us from revealing our completed rooms to everyone.

As any homeowner knows, a house is never 100% complete.  But now, as we shift our focus to dealing with the backyard, it’s time to consider most of our house complete. 

And, with that, we’ll begin to share the before and after shots with you.

Saturday, May 8, 2010


Before we got started on the backyard, there were some old, prickly bushes growing through the fence behind the garage.  Since we will be building a new fence along this side of the yard, we needed to clear the area.  We cut down the bushes and removed the old fence before demolishing the garage.  This left us with a bunch of stumps to deal with. 

The stump removal job called for a serious piece of machinery! 



With a rented stump grinder and a couple of hours of work, the stumps were shredded and the back of the yard was nice and flat…


Blog Widget by LinkWithin