Sunday, November 29, 2009

New Hardwood Floors

While we were able to save the original hardwood floors on the second storey, we decided to install new hardwood on the main floor.  With the amount of demolition we did, we knew that the floors would be too difficult to save.

Originally, we thought we wanted oak flooring.  But, after looking around and doing some research, we decided to try something a bit different.

We chose Sucupira (Brazilian Walnut).  It’s a medium brown exotic wood that is supposed to be quite durable and stands up well to lots of traffic.  Since it’s on our main floor – including the foyer and kitchen – durability is important to us. 

The hardwood floor installation was one of the final projects we completed before we moved in. 

IMG_2479 IMG_2490


We’re really happy with how the floors turned out.  The Sucupira is a really warm colour and it’s a great match for the colour of stain we used on the stairs and upstairs floors. 


Tuesday, November 24, 2009

We’re In!

We’ve been absentee bloggers this past week as we’ve scrambled to get ready for the move.  After almost seven months of work, yesterday was the big day.

We need to do some organizing before we share all our updates, but here are a few of things we managed to get done (or mostly done) before we moved in:

  • We selected and installed all the remaining light fixtures.
  • We installed our upstairs bathroom vanity and mirror.
  • We laid hardwood floor throughout the main floor.
  • Our kitchen cabinets arrived and were installed!

We’ll post some photos as soon as we’re settled.  In the meantime, here’s a shot of our moving crew relaxing after setting the record for the fastest move ever.  Thanks guys!


Sunday, November 15, 2009

Crunch Time

With just over a week until we move into the house, we’re busy trying to finish as much as we can.  We had some help this week from a bunch of people, including Handyman Superstar Challenge winner Jason Best!  Jason and Chris came by to help with doors and trim:


Here are a few of the things we’ve been working on this week:

We’ve installed all the baseboards, door trim and window trim on the second floor.

IMG_2454 IMG_2451

We’ve hung most of the doors.

We’ve finished painting the stair risers and railing spindles white.

We ordered California shutters for the master bedroom and living room windows. 

We’ve moved everything off of the main floor and into the basement so that we can lay the hardwood floor this week.

There is still lots to do, so we’ll be busy scrambling to finish up this week.  We did get some good news about our kitchen though.  It arrived in Prince Rupert, B.C. and is about to enjoy a train ride across the country.  We expect it to arrive the same week we move in, so hopefully we won’t have to live without a kitchen for very long!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Getting Rid of the Green – Step Three

We lucked out with some good weather this past weekend!  With temperatures above 10°C and lots of sun, we decided to take the opportunity to prime and paint the area around our front door before the winter.

Our neighbours lent us a sample of the paint they used on the exterior of their house, so we took to it to Benjamin Moore to be colour matched.  We ended up with Seaspray, which was a pretty close match.

After one coat of primer, two coats of paint and some caulking, we were all done.  It looks so much better. 

Here’s the before:


And here’s how it looks now:

IMG_2460 IMG_2462

Goodbye green!

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Getting Rid of the Green – Step Two

As mentioned in a previous post, we’ve been working on removing the ugly green colour from the front of our house.  After replacing the shingles and flashing, we got out the heat gun and started tackling the thick layers of paint around the front door.

 IMG_2307 IMG_2308


We’ve had some complaints from our friends and family, who will now have to learn our address to be able to find our house.  But, all the neighbours seem to be pretty happy with the transformation.  Next step: paint it to match our next door neighbours.



Thursday, November 5, 2009

Old Hardwood Floors

The original hardwood floors were in pretty good shape on the second storey.  We decided to get them refinished so we protected the floors with paper before we started the demolition.


Once the drywall was finished, we hired Tip Top Flooring to refinish the floors, stairs and railing.  (Thanks to Maggie and Rob at Okay, Now What? for the referral!)

We knew that we wanted to go darker than what was originally there, but selecting the stain colour was a lot harder than we had anticipated.  After hours of staring at samples and changing our minds a couple of times, we settled on Early American.

IMG_2418 IMG_2416 IMG_2422 IMG_2426Given that the floors, stairs and railing are three different types of wood, we weren’t sure how they would turn out.  Fortunately, the colour was a good choice and we’re really happy with the results.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Basement Bathroom Tiling

Our new basement bathroom is really coming along.  Since the main bathroom upstairs is pretty tiny, we decided to include a nice large shower in our basement bathroom.

Like upstairs, we used Schluter Kerdi waterproofing on the shower walls.  We used Schluter Ditra on the floor.


The tiling was finished last week and it looks great.  We’re really happy with our choice of travertine tiles.


Next , we’ll install glass walls and a glass door on the front of the shower. 

Blog Widget by LinkWithin