Sunday, November 29, 2009

New Hardwood Floors

While we were able to save the original hardwood floors on the second storey, we decided to install new hardwood on the main floor.  With the amount of demolition we did, we knew that the floors would be too difficult to save.

Originally, we thought we wanted oak flooring.  But, after looking around and doing some research, we decided to try something a bit different.

We chose Sucupira (Brazilian Walnut).  It’s a medium brown exotic wood that is supposed to be quite durable and stands up well to lots of traffic.  Since it’s on our main floor – including the foyer and kitchen – durability is important to us. 

The hardwood floor installation was one of the final projects we completed before we moved in. 

IMG_2479 IMG_2490

IMG_2492

We’re really happy with how the floors turned out.  The Sucupira is a really warm colour and it’s a great match for the colour of stain we used on the stairs and upstairs floors. 

IMG_2580

6 comments:

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Stunning! Great choice.

Deb said...

Your floors are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

we live in the gta and are thinking about installing sucupira throughout the house - where did you purchase? how did you find its matchability or complement with any of your existing furniture colors?

Jen and Dave said...

We bought our Sucupira from Amazon Hardwood Centre in Markham. We're really happy with the colour. Our furniture is pretty neutral so it complimented it well.

Unknown said...

I love your choice of hardwood floor, and true, durability must be the primary concern when tackling high traffic areas, such as the main floor. In my home in Indianapolis, hardwood flooring is the top thing I had in mind when I replaced my flooring made of tile. Indianapolis, where my home is located, also has lots of guests whenever I host a little party, which makes my decision to go for hardwood is the best choice I made.

Anonymous said...

The new floors look beautiful.
I notice in one pic, it seems read while in others it is more brown & orangy. Is this because of the lighting ?
What is the color as you see it (as apposed to through the camera) ?

I live in the west end (GTA).
I am thinking about installing this or something very similar.
They say these exotic woods are very very hard.

Did the hardness create any problems in the installation ?

How did you cut the curves if any ?

I want to do this myself if I can as apposed to getting an installer which will make it more expensive.

Were you happy with your supplier ?
I may just go to him.

Your advice is much appreciated.

I apologize for all these questions. too many.

thanks,
iyadh

Blog Widget by LinkWithin